Dr. Patrik Frei
- Dr. Patrik Frei is Founder & CEO of Venture Valuation, specialists in independent assessments and valuation of emerging high-growth companies in biotechnology and life sciences.
- Europe’s top valuation expert of high-growth life science companies and author of Assessment and Valuation of High Growth Companies.
- Patrik and his team carried out valuations for the Novartis Venture Fund.
- Owner of Biotechgate, the global business development database for the life science industry. Leave your details here for more information.
- The main valuation approaches, tools & techniques currently used in the pharma-biotech world.
- Methodology for assessing the risk profile of a company prior to valuation.
- An overview of different valuation methods used for life science companies and products.
- How to calculate the value of a life sciences company with the Discounted Cash Flow method, comparables and exit valuation.
- How to calculate the value of a compound in development, using the most commonly used tool, i.e. the risk-adjusted Net Present Value (rNPV).
- How to structure the licensing deal between companies, covering issues such as milestone and royalty payments.
- Gain practice in calculating the value of a phase II compound with an Excel-based valuation tool, which you can use when back in the office.
- The audience of this course is always an interesting mix of executives from pharma, biotech and related (e.g. tech transfer) companies.
Why You Should Attend
Valuation is an inherently subjective task which is made even more difficult in the life science industry due its unique challenges: high attrition rates in R&D, long investment cycle, complex technologies and IP situations, etc. Therefore, traditional valuation methods are not suitable.
The Content: This course is designed to teach you a systematic approach to producing a valuation which can be used in investment rounds, mergers/acquisitions, licensing deals or strategic development decisions in the pharma-biotech world. It goes beyond the number-crunching techniques of most consultants and includes difficult to define qualitative factors which shape the risk profile of the company in question.
The Expert: Patrik Frei is leading expert in the valuation of life science companies, with vast sector-specific knowledge and experience, which allows him to speak with authority on the subject. Patrik wrote the first book on the valuation of high-growth companies and holds a Ph.D in the field. He founded Venture Valuation in 1999, which has remained true to its mission since then: the independent assessment and valuation of companies, products and patents in fast growing markets and industries including pharmaceuticals, Biotechnology and Medical Technology.
The Pharma-Biotech Product & Company Valuation - An Introductory Course is the only available public training course delivered by Patrik Frei on the topic of Valuation.
Agenda of the Pharma-Biotech Product & Company Valuation course
Important: all hours are noted in CET/Brussels Time, so carefully convert into your local time zone!
Short breaks will be offered throughout the day.
Welcome (~30 min)
Introduction to Valuation: What – Why – When (~45 min)
How to Assess a Company Prior to Valuation (~30 min)
Company Valuation (~1 h 45 min)
Group work on a case study:
Product Valuation & Deal Structuring (~2 h 30 min)
Group work on a case study:
Final Discussion & Wrap-up (30 min)
>> Click here if you wish to receive the PDF brochure of this course
This course optimally balances interactive lectures with practical group work exercises which are designed to help you practice the fundamental valuation tools & techniques taught throughout the day.
Of particular value in this course is the Product Valuation and Deal Structuring module where you will learn the commonly used rNPV (risk-adjusted Net Present Value) method for calculating the value of a drug in development. Subsequently, you will practice how to structure a licensing deal between companies. You will use an Excel-based tool designed specifically for this module (which can be taken home).
One of the most valuable aspects of attending any CELforPharma course is not only being able to have your specific questions answered by a leading expert, but also having the opportunity to share experiences and have in-depth discussions with your international peers.
|The typical audience size of our courses ranges from 6 to 20 (max) participants.|
Who Should Attend?
This is an introductory course and therefore very valuable for pharma and biotech executives who are not familiar with compound and company valuations but need a thorough understanding of the valuation concepts and techniques that are commonly applied in the pharma and biotech industries.
Below is a non-exhaustive list of past participants who have benefited from attending this course.
|Corp. Business Development Manager||ALK||Denmark|
|Executive Evaluation Director, CVGI||AstraZeneca||Sweden|
|Portfolio & Business Development Manager||AstraZeneca||Japan|
|Head of BD||Avexxin||Norway|
|Technical Assessment Analyst||Baxter||Austria|
|Director, Business Development & Alliance Management||Camurus||Sweden|
|Vice President Business Development||Cellectar Biosciences||USA|
|Senior Director Business Development||Celonic||Switzerland|
|Corporate Development & Licensing Manager||Chiesi||Italy|
|Senior Manager Business Development & Licensing||Daiichi Sankyo||Germany|
|Head of Operations||EATRIS||Netherlands|
|Technology Transfer Specialist||Genoma Espana||Spain|
|Director Corporate Development||Immune Pharma||USA|
|New Business Development Manager||Janssen||UK|
|Business Development Manager||JSC Farmak||Ukraine|
|Director, Life Sciences||Licentia||Finland|
|Associate Director - Corporate Business Development||Lundbeck||Denmark|
|Business Development Director||Medical Futures||Canada|
|Director, Strategy and Business Operations||Merck Serono||Germany|
|Managing Director||Monitus Research||United Kingdom|
|Senior Manager Business Development||Morphosys||Germany|
|CEO||NewLab Life Sciences||Canada|
|Marketing and Business Development||Pharmabio-MBD||France|
|Managing Director - Dermatology & Cosmetics||Pierre Fabre||Germany|
|General Manager||Pnn Medical||Switzerland|
|Director of Business Development||Roche||USA|
|VP Finance & Business Development||Siena Biotech||Italy|
|Head of International Marketing Intelligence||Sigma-Tau||Italy|
|Strategy Analyst||Sotio||Czech Republic|
|Valuation and Compliance Officer||Sterling IP||UK|
|Director Business Development||Therabel||France|
|Attorney at Law||Ventac Partners||USA|
|Senior Business Development Manager||VIB||Belgium|
|Director, Business Development||Vifor Pharma||UK|
|Business Development Manager||VU Medical Center||Netherlands|
|Investment Executive||WDC Investment Fund||Ireland|
|Pipeline Development & Science Intelligence||Zambon||Italy|
Dates & Locations
All CELforPharma courses are held live online (hosted in Zoom) or in top-class four or five star hotels situated in easily accessible locations, either close to an international airport or near public transportation links in city centre locations.
23 November 2021, live online
19 May 2022, live online
29 September 2022, face-to-face in Brussels (*)
(*) This course takes place at the Courtyard Marriott Brussels Hotel which is located 15 minutes from Brussels National Airport by complimentary hotel shuttle or taxi and 30 minutes by taxi from Brussels South train station (Thalys, TGV, Eurostar).
Address: Avenue des Olympiades 6, 1140 Brussels, Belgium
Tel: +32 2 337 08 08
Hotel Booking Assistance
Having built a strong relationship with the Courtyard Marriott Brussels Hotel, CELforPharma has secured preferential room rates for our delegates who book their accommodation three weeks or more prior to the course. Upon your registration, we will help you make your hotel booking. For any assistance in this matter please do not hesitate to contact Kealeigh Steel, Course Administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel +32 (0)2 709 01 45).
Included in the Registration Fee - for the live online course
- Access to a small-class (max 20 participants), expert led course in real-time, using an interactive platform for break-out rooms, whiteboard exercises, polling, plenary discussions and chats.
- Course material, which will be provided to you in both digital format (by email) and in hard copy (by post, so you can make notes during the course).
- Certificate of attendance signed by the expert and CELforPharma.
Included in the Registration Fee - for the face-to-face course
- Participation in a small-class (max 20 participants), expert led face-to-face course with interactive group exercises and plenary discussions. You will have the opportunity to meet the expert(s) and discuss your own projects/issues during the breaks.
- Course material, which will be provided to you in both digital format (by email) and in hard copy (so you can make notes during the course).
- Coffee, tea & refreshments during the course.
- Informal networking lunch.
- Certificate of attendance signed by the expert and CELforPharma.
Special Offer for Biotech Executives
Executives from biotech start-ups (companies that do not have products on the market yet) and academia can attend this course for € 1 070 (excl. VAT). Please contact Annelies Swaan, Director, Business Operations, (email@example.com) for more details.
Team discounts can be offered to 3 or more delegates from the same company.
Contact Annelies Swaan, Director Business Operations, (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
How to Register
- Click the "Register Here" button on this page.
- Choose a course date, then fill out your personal details and company / invoicing details.
- Choose to pay via bank transfer or by credit card.
- Click "Confirm Registration". You will be sent an automatic email confirming your registration followed by a personal email containing an invoice and further payment instructions.
For assistance in registering, raising a PO or invoicing, please do not hesitate to contact Kealeigh Steel.
(email: email@example.com or call: +32 2 709 01 45)
Transfer & Cancellation Policy
- If a registrant cannot attend the scheduled course, he/she can avoid any cancellation charge by sending a suitable replacement participant.
- Alternatively, the registrant can transfer once at no extra cost, until 3 weeks prior to the event, to another course held within one year of the original course date.
- Less than 14 days prior to the course date: registrant liable to pay the full invoiced registration fee.
- Between 15 and 30 days prior to the course date: registrant liable to pay 50% of the invoiced registration fee.
- More than 30 days prior to the course date: registrant liable to pay a cancellation fee of € 450 per registrant.
- If a registrant postpones his/her participation to a future course, and cancels again, no refund can be claimed for registration fees.