Dr. Roger Cox
- Dr. Roger Cox has 30 years of licensing experience encompassing both big and small pharma/biotech companies.
- Currently Regional Advisor for UK and Europe with Plexus Ventures, Roger was formerly Executive Director with J&J’s Global Pharma BD Group where he negotiated over 50 commercial licence agreements.
- The skill set required to successfully negotiate licence deals in the pharma-biotech world, to persuade and build consensus.
- What you need to prepare and check before starting a negotiation.
- The methods for determining value and spreadsheet financial modeling to improve negotiation outcomes.
- Practise negotiating skills in 4 interactive role plays featuring typical Pharma/Biotech licensing situations.
- The differences between integrative and distributive negotiation strategies and tools to improve leverage.
- The various types of licence agreements used in pharma-biotech, and methods to determine royalty rates and value sharing.
- The role-plays include a variety of negotiation scenarios: Royalty negotiations, term sheet negotiations, etc.
- To ensure you optimally benefit from the role play sessions with executives from a variety of backgrounds, we purposely limit the audience size to 8 max.
Why You Should Attend
The Content: Unlike other negotiation courses, this course is specifically tailored to negotiating commercial licensing deals for pharmaceuticals and related products in the Pharma and Biotech sectors.
The Expert: Roger Cox is an industry veteran and highly regarded in pharma’s BD&L community. Roger’s profile is unique - his 30 years of licensing experience encompasses both big and small pharma/biotech companies as well as government organisations.
The Pharma Licensing Negotiation Course is the only available public training course delivered by Roger Cox on the topic of licensing negotiation.
Agenda of The Pharma Licensing Negotiation Course
Important: all hours are noted in CET/Brussels Time, so carefully convert into your local time zone!
Short breaks will be offered throughout the day.
Welcome and Introductions (~30 min)
Negotiation Skills (~1 h)
Preparation for Negotiation and Value Analysis (~1 h 15 min)
Advantages and Pitfalls of Different Negotiation Tools (~30 min)
Role Play – Preparing to Negotiate (~45 min)
Negotiation Styles and Presentation Skills (~45 min)
Developing Leverage and Negotiation Tactics (~45 min)
Role Play – Term Sheet Assumptions (~2 h: 1 h 15 min on day 1, 45 min on day 2)
End of Day 1
Licences, Royalties and Milestones (~1 h 30 min)
Role Play – Licence Negotiation (~1 h)
Role Play – Term Sheet Assumptions (~45 min, continued from day 1)
Role Play – Term Sheet Negotiation (~1 h 30 min)
Term Sheet Presentations, Feedback & Learnings (~45 min)
Critical Success Factors in Contract Negotiation (~45 min)
Course Learnings and Conclusions (~30 min)
>> Click here if you wish to receive the PDF brochure of this course
Successfully developing negotiating skills requires practice in real negotiations. Four interactive negotiation sessions are included in the programme as examples of the type of negotiation situation that can arise in Pharma/Biotech licensing. Course participants will be briefed to assume roles as Licensing Executives in pharmaceutical /biotech companies who are engaged in:
- Negotiation on licences for drug delivery technologies.
- Internal negotiations to prepare term sheet proposals for regional/global product licences.
- Licence negotiations to avoid infringement of third party intellectual property rights
- Negotiation with third parties for regional/global licences for the clinical development, manufacture and marketing of finished pharmaceutical products where royalties, milestones will be negotiated and NPVs and valuation splits determined.
The exercises include opening contacts and negotiations with third parties, working with colleagues, working with ‘your opposite number’ to solve joint problems and team negotiations with third parties on detailed term sheets. The outcome of the negotiation exercises will be quantified so that participants can benchmark progress in their own personal development as a negotiator.
The course is designed for pharmaceutical licensing professionals who want to hone their skills and improve their negotiation performance to deliver improved value and mitigate risk. Group discussion sessions are also included at the end of each day to address and review questions arising from any part of the 2-day course. Course participants will be provided with copies of the presentations for their own use.
One of the most valuable aspects of attending any CELforPharma course is not only being able to have your specific questions answered by a leading expert, but also having the opportunity to share experiences and have in-depth discussions with your international peers.
|The maximum audience size of this course is 8 participants.|
Who Should Attend?
This practical Pharma/Biotech negotiation course is designed for:
- Business development and licensing executives wishing to improve their negotiation skills.
- All other executives working in the Pharma/Biotech sector who are involved in the negotiation process for the licensing or acquisition of pharmaceutical and other healthcare products.
Below is a non-exhaustive list of past participants who have benefited from attending this course.
|Strategic Development Manager||Abbott||Russian Federation|
|Business Development Manager||Abbott||Russian Federation|
|Manager In-Licensing International||Actavis||Bulgaria|
|Portfolio Director International CEE/CIS||Actavis||Serbia|
|Associate M&A and Corporate Development||Almirall||Spain|
|Licensing In Manager CEE||Angelini||Austria|
|EMEA Director, Market Development||Eisai||United Kingdom|
|Global Business Development||Ferring||USA|
|Vice President Oncology Portfolio & Marketing||Fresenius Kabi||Germany|
|Head of R&D Licensing||Galderma||France|
|VP, Head of Corporate Licensing||Gruenenthal||Germany|
|Senior Project Leader (Interventional Oncology)||Guerbet||France|
|Director Life Cycle Management EMEA||Janssen||Switzerland|
|Senior Director, Head of R&D Quality & Compliance Business Development||Johnson & Johnson||Netherlands|
|Country Manager Morocco||LEO Pharma||Morocco|
|Senior Manager Business Development||Morphosys||Germany|
|Market Research Manager / Corporate BD||Onxeo||France|
|Financial Controller / HR / IT||Prostrakan||Germany|
|Business Development Officer||Ratiopharm||Finland|
|Vice President CHC Strategy and Business Development||Sanofi||France|
|Business Develpment Manager||Sanofi||Italy|
|Business Development Director||Servier||Russian Federation|
|Business Development Manager||Servier||Russian Federation|
|Pharmacien Business Development Manager||Servier||Russian Federation|
|VP, Business Development and New Product Planning||Shionogi||United Kingdom|
|Project Coordinator and Business Intelligence Manager||Takeda||Switzerland|
|Senior Alliance Manager||Tillotts Pharma||Switzerland|
|Senior Director, Neurosciences Partnering||UCB||Belgium|
|Business Development & Project Manager||Vifor Pharma||Switzerland|
|Business Development & Licensing||Zambon||Italy|
Dates & Locations
All CELforPharma courses are held live online (hosted in Zoom) or in top-class four or five star hotels situated in easily accessible locations, either close to an international airport or near public transportation links in city centre locations.
14-15 October 2021, live online
7-8 December 2021, live online
15-16 March 2022, live online
21-22 June 2022, live online
6-7 October 2022, Brussels (Hotel to be confirmed)
22-23 November 2022, live online
Hotel Booking Assistance
Having built a strong relationship with each hotel, CELforPharma has secured preferential room rates for our delegates who book their accommodation three weeks or more prior to the course. Upon your registration, we will help you make your hotel booking. For any assistance in this matter please do not hesitate to contact Kealeigh Steel, Course Administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel +32 (0)2 709 01 45).
Included in the Registration Fee - for the live online course
- Access to a small-class (max 8 participants), expert led course in real-time, using an interactive platform for break-out rooms, whiteboard exercises, polling, plenary discussions and chats.
- Course material, which will be provided to you in both digital format (by email) and in hard copy (by post, so you can make notes during the course).
- Certificate of attendance signed by the expert and CELforPharma.
Included in the Registration Fee - for the face-to-face course
- Participation in a small-class (max 8 participants), expert led face-to-face course with interactive group exercises and plenary discussions. You will have the opportunity to meet the expert(s) and discuss your own projects/issues during the breaks.
- Course material, which will be provided to you in both digital format (by email) and in hard copy (so you can make notes during the course).
- Coffee, tea & refreshments during the course.
- Informal networking lunch.
- Certificate of attendance signed by the expert and CELforPharma.
Team discounts can be offered to 3 or more delegates from the same company.
Contact Annelies Swaan, Director Business Operations, (email@example.com) for more details.
How to Register
- Click the "Register Here" button on this page.
- Choose a course date, then fill out your personal details and company / invoicing details.
- Choose to pay via bank transfer or by credit card.
- Click "Confirm Registration". You will be sent an automatic email confirming your registration followed by a personal email containing an invoice and further payment instructions.
For assistance in registering, raising a PO or invoicing, please do not hesitate to contact Kealeigh Steel.
(email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: +32 2 709 01 45)
Transfer & Cancellation Policy
- If a registrant cannot attend the scheduled course, he/she can avoid any cancellation charge by sending a suitable replacement participant.
- Alternatively, the registrant can transfer once at no extra cost, until 3 weeks prior to the event, to another course held within one year of the original course date.
- Up to 6 weeks prior to the course: cancellation fee of € 400 per participant.
- Up to 5 weeks prior to the course: 25% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Up to 4 weeks prior to the course: 50% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Up to 3 weeks prior to the course: 75% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Fewer than 3 weeks or if no notification received: registrant liable to pay invoiced registration fee.
- If a registrant postpones his/her participation to a future course, and cancels again, no refund can be claimed for registration fees.