Dr. Roger Cox
- 30 years of licensing experience encompassing both big and small pharma/biotech companies.
- Currently Senior Consultant with Plexus Ventures, a leading global Pharma Business Development firm.
- Formerly with J&J's Global Pharma BD Group where he negotiated over 50 commercial licence agreements.
- Former Chairman of the European Pharmaceutical Licensing Council and Member of the Editorial Board of the Business Development & Licensing Journal for the Pharmaceutical Licensing Groups.
By Attending This Course, You Will
- Have the tools and skills to conclude the best financial deal when negotiating a licence agreement in the Pharma and Biotech sectors.
- Know what you need to prepare and check before a negotiation.
- Use the appropriate negotiation styles in a variety of negotiation positions.
- Learn the communication techniques to effectively manage expectations, listen analytically, persuade and build consensus.
- Be able to negotiate financials and to bargain for advantage using proven techniques for building value and win-win outcomes.
- Know how to negotiate term sheets and contracts to successfully close the deal.
- Apply the theory in role-play negotiation scenarios.
- Benefit from Roger’s wealth of experience which cuts through all relevant industry sectors: big Pharma, small Pharma, Biotech and investors.
Why You Should Attend
The Content: Unlike other negotiation courses, this course is specifically tailored to negotiating commercial licensing deals for pharmaceuticals and related products in the Pharma and Biotech sectors.
The Expert: Roger Cox is an industry veteran and highly regarded in pharma’s BD&L community. Roger’s profile is unique - his 30 years of licensing experience encompasses both big and small pharma/biotech companies as well as government organisations.
The Pharma Licensing Negotiation Course is the only available public training course delivered by Roger Cox on the topic of licensing negotiation.
Agenda of The Pharma Licensing Negotiation Course
Introduction - Negotiation Skills
Preparing to Negotiate
Advantages and Pitfalls of Different Negotiation Tools
Role Play 1 – Preparing to Negotiate
Negotiation Styles, Presentation Skills and Developing Leverage
Role Play 2 – Term Sheet Assumptions
End of Day 1
Licences, Royalties and Milestones
Role Play 3 – Royalty Negotiations
Role Play 4 – Term Sheet Negotiation
Lunch (continuing group discussion)
Term Sheet Presentations, Feedback & Learnings
Critical Success Factors in Contract Negotiation
Course Learnings and Conclusions
>> Click here if you wish to receive the PDF brochure of this course
Successfully developing negotiating skills requires practice in real negotiations. Four interactive negotiation sessions are included in the programme as examples of the type of negotiation situation that can arise in Pharma/Biotech licensing. Course participants will be briefed to assume roles as Licensing Executives in pharmaceutical /biotech companies who are engaged in:
- Negotiation on licences for drug delivery technologies.
- Internal negotiations to prepare term sheet proposals for regional/global product licences.
- Licence negotiations to avoid infringement of third party intellectual property rights
- Negotiation with third parties for regional/global licences for the clinical development, manufacture and marketing of finished pharmaceutical products where royalties, milestones will be negotiated and NPVs and valuation splits determined.
The exercises include opening contacts and negotiations with third parties, working with colleagues, working with ‘your opposite number’ to solve joint problems and team negotiations with third parties on detailed term sheets. The outcome of the negotiation exercises will be quantified so that participants can benchmark progress in their own personal development as a negotiator.
The course is designed for pharmaceutical licensing professionals who want to hone their skills and improve their negotiation performance to deliver improved value and mitigate risk. Group discussion sessions are also included at the end of each day to address and review questions arising from any part of the 2-day course. Course participants will be provided with copies of the presentations for their own use.
participants practicing their licensing negotiations
One of the most valuable aspects of attending any C.E.L.forpharma course is not only being able to have your specific questions answered by a leading expert, but also having the opportunity to share experiences and have in-depth discussions with your international peers.
|The maximum audience size of this course is 10 participants.|
Who Should Attend?
This practical Pharma/Biotech negotiation course is designed for:
- Business development and licensing executives wishing to improve their negotiation skills.
- All other executives working in the Pharma/Biotech sector who are involved in the negotiation process for the licensing or acquisition of pharmaceutical and other healthcare products.
Below is a non-exhaustive list of past participants who have benefited from attending this course.
|Strategic Development Manager||Abbott||Russian Federation|
|Business Development Manager||Abbott||Russian Federation|
|Manager In-Licensing International||Actavis||Bulgaria|
|Portfolio Director International CEE/CIS||Actavis||Serbia|
|Associate M&A and Corporate Development||Almirall||Spain|
|Licensing In Manager CEE||Angelini||Austria|
|EMEA Director, Market Development||Eisai||United Kingdom|
|Global Business Development||Ferring||USA|
|Vice President Oncology Portfolio & Marketing||Fresenius Kabi||Germany|
|Head of R&D Licensing||Galderma||France|
|VP, Head of Corporate Licensing||Gruenenthal||Germany|
|Senior Project Leader (Interventional Oncology)||Guerbet||France|
|Director Life Cycle Management EMEA||Janssen||Switzerland|
|Senior Director, Head of R&D Quality & Compliance Business Development||Johnson & Johnson||Netherlands|
|Country Manager Morocco||LEO Pharma||Morocco|
|Senior Manager Business Development||Morphosys||Germany|
|Market Research Manager / Corporate BD||Onxeo||France|
|Financial Controller / HR / IT||Prostrakan||Germany|
|Business Development Officer||Ratiopharm||Finland|
|Vice President CHC Strategy and Business Development||Sanofi||France|
|Business Develpment Manager||Sanofi||Italy|
|Business Development Director||Servier||Russian Federation|
|Business Development Manager||Servier||Russian Federation|
|Pharmacien Business Development Manager||Servier||Russian Federation|
|VP, Business Development and New Product Planning||Shionogi||United Kingdom|
|Project Coordinator and Business Intelligence Manager||Takeda||Switzerland|
|Senior Alliance Manager||Tillotts Pharma||Switzerland|
|Senior Director, Neurosciences Partnering||UCB||Belgium|
|Business Development & Project Manager||Vifor Pharma||Switzerland|
|Business Development & Licensing||Zambon||Italy|
Dates & Locations
20-21 May 2019, Zurich
This course takes place at the Hilton Zurich Airport Hotel which is located just five minutes from Zurich Kloten Airport with the complimentary shuttle. Zurich’s vibrant city centre is located only a fifteen minutes’ drive away.
Address: Hohenbuehlstrasse 10, Opfikon-Glattbrugg 8152, Switzerland
Tel: +41 44 828 50 50
2-3 December 2019, London
This course takes place at the Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel which is located on the perimeter of Heathrow Airport, a short taxi or bus journey from the terminal where the Heathrow Express service to Central London is also situated.
Address: Bath Road, Hounslow, TW6 2AQ, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 20 88 97 63 63
Hotel Booking Assistance
Having built a strong relationship with each hotel, C.E.L.forpharma has secured preferential room rates for our delegates who book their accommodation three weeks or more prior to the course. Upon your registration, we will help you make your hotel booking. For any assistance in this matter please do not hesitate to contact Sarah Nissen, Programme Coordinator (email@example.com, tel +32 (0)2 709 01 46).
Included in the Registration Fee
- Course Material (Digital & Print Versions)
- Coffee, Tea & Refreshments During the Course
- Lunch During the Course
- A Group Dinner on the First Day
- Certificate of Attendance Signed by the Expert
Team discounts can be offered to 3 or more delegates from the same company. Contact Annelies Swaan, Head of Business Operations, (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
How to Register
- Click the "Register Here" button on this page.
- Choose a course date, then fill out your personal details and company / invoicing details.
- Choose to pay via bank transfer / invoice or by credit card.
- Click "Confirm Registration". You will be sent an automatic email confirming your registration followed by a personal email containing a pro-forma invoice and further payment instructions.
For assistance in registering, raising a PO or invoicing, please do not hesitate to contact Britt De Cat.
(email: email@example.com or call: +32 2 709 01 44)
Transfer & Cancellation Policy
- If a registrant cannot attend the scheduled course, he/she can avoid any cancellation charge by sending a suitable replacement participant.
- Alternatively, the registrant can transfer once on a “space available” basis at no extra cost, until 3 weeks prior to the event, to another course held within one year of the original course date.
- Up to 6 weeks prior to the course: cancellation fee of € 400 per participant.
- Up to 5 weeks prior to the course: 25% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Up to 4 weeks prior to the course: 50% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Up to 3 weeks prior to the course: 75% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Fewer than 3 weeks or if no notification received: registrant liable to pay invoiced registration fee.
- If a registrant postpones his/her participation to a future course, and cancels again, no refund can be claimed for registration fees.