- Formerly a pharma BusDev & Licensing executive, David has worked as a Senior BD&L Consultant since 1996.
- Concluded numerous inward and outward licensing agreements for clients covering small molecules, biologicals and delivery technologies.
- Author of Scrip’s best-selling report Practical Guide to Pharmaceutical Licensing.
- The critical steps in the licensing process of a pharmaceutical compound in R&D.
- How to profile your product and prepare information to maximise attractiveness to 3rd parties.
- Key factors in the valuation of your product and how to set up a spreadsheet to optimise the commercial structure of the deal.
- How to target potential partners – and the best way to make successful contacts.
- What to include in term sheets, CDAs and MTAs – The issues to watch out for during negotiations.
- Understand the due diligence process and what will be expected from you.
- Expert advice on negotiation strategy and on managing a deal post-signature.
- This is a very practical course, with plenty of directly applicable tools and information for your out-licensing activities: Checklists, clear instructions, action plan, a valuation tool, etc.
- Participants at this course are senior executives, including biotech CEOs planning to initiate out-licensing activities, adding an additional learning dimension.
Why You Should Attend
The Content: This course is designed to provide delegates with all the practical skills needed to out-license a development based product. The course is hard work but fulfilling and covers all the main aspects of licensing. It comes along with useful templates for future activities, including a spreadsheet to calculate optimal deal values.
The Expert: David Scott is well-respected in the pharmaceutical licensing world and is actively in- and out-licensing products for clients in the pharmaceutical, biotech and technology sectors. He also has a strong track record in running successful training courses and workshops, so he combines a hands-on approach to licensing with training skills.
The Pharmaceutical Out-licensing Course is the only available public training course delivered by David Scott on the topic of pharma licensing.
Agenda of The Pharmaceutical Out-licensing Course
Important: all hours are noted in CET/Brussels Time, so carefully convert into your local time zone!
Short breaks will be offered throughout the day.
Welcome & General Introduction (~30 min)
Preparing the Ground (~30 min)
Deciding What Type of Deal to Seek (~1 h)
Contractual Issues (~1 h 45 min: 1 h before lunch, 45 min after lunch)
Contractual Issues – Continued (~45 min)
Valuing the Deal (~1 h)
Exercise (~1 h 15 min)
Delegates will be given a spreadsheet and an exercise to calculate the value of, and the optimal deal structure for, a pharmaceutical compound in R&D. The spreadsheet exercise is based on a detailed cash flow/NPV model and allows for evaluating the deal from the perspective of the main parameters
Plenary Discussion and Close of Day 1
Preparing to Out-license (~1 h 30 min)
Finding Potential Partners (~45 min)
The Evaluation Process (~1 h 15 min)
Negotiation Pointers (~30 min)
Managing the Deal (~30 min)
Role-play Exercise (~1 h 30 min)
Delegates will work in teams to draft their own target and fall-back terms for a fictitious but realistic case, and then will negotiate these terms with their target partner. The results will be critically examined by the expert and discussed in plenary
Plenary Discussion (30 min)
>> Click here if you wish to receive the PDF brochure of this course
David Scott is an experienced “hands-on” licensing manager - his report, “Scrip’s Practical Guide to Pharmaceutical Licensing” has been called the “quintessential pharmaceutical licensing work”. He matches a systematic presentation of the involved processes with practical anecdotes drawn from personal experience. Delegates are encouraged to raise specific issues in the group to take full advantage of his experience and advice.
Each day ends with an exercise that allows delegates to put into practice the techniques. Delegates also receive a number of pro-formas (including a draft CDA) dealing with the issues discussed during the course.
One of the most valuable aspects of attending any CELforPharma course is not only being able to have your specific questions answered by a leading expert, but also having the opportunity to share experiences and have in-depth discussions with your international peers.
|The typical audience size of our courses ranges from 6 to 20 (max) participants.|
Who Should Attend?
The Pharmaceutical Out-licensing Course is designed for those likely to be involved in the out-licensing process of a development product:
- Senior executives and scientists in companies developing or planning to develop products for out-licensing.
- Junior to mid-level managers, including scientists, commercial and legal managers, who are likely to be involved in the licensing and due diligence process.
- Business development managers, members of legal and IP teams with no formal training in licensing and staff joining the business development and licensing functions.
- Managers looking to broaden their personal career skills with a thorough understanding of the licensing process.
Below is a non-exhaustive list of past participants who have benefited from attending this course.
|Deputy General Manager||AJA Pharma||Saudi Arabia|
|Business Development Manager||Aker Biomarine||Norway|
|Director Licensing & Business Development||Algobate||Switzerland|
|Head of Business Development & Licensing||Almirall||Spain|
|SVP - Chief Financial Officer||Amgen||Switzerland|
|Commercial Area Manager Asia, Middle East & Africa||AOP Orphan||United Arab Emirates|
|Transaction Manager||AstraZeneca||United Kingdom|
|Head of Business Development||AVVA||Russia|
|Commercial Area Manager Asia, Middle East & Africa||BetaZone Labs||USA|
|Director International Business Development||Biotest||Germany|
|Principal Scientist Respiratory Diseases Research||Boehringer Ingelheim||Germany|
|Director Business Development||Cinfa Biotech||Germany|
|Head of Project Management BD & L||Ferrer||Spain|
|Head of Integration Office||Galderma||USA|
|Business Development Scientist||GW Pharmaceuticals||UK|
|Manager- External Assessments||Janssen||United Kingdom|
|Senior Project Manager, Corporate Business Development||LEO Pharma||Denmark|
|Director Business Development||Merck Serono||Mexico|
|Executive Vice President Marketing / Regulatory||MicroDermis||USA|
|Senior Manager Business Development||Morphosys||Germany|
|Business Development Manager||Novartis||Russia|
|New Markets Manager||Orphan||France|
|Deputy Managing Director||Oy Verman||Finland|
|Business Development Manager||Pharmamar||Spain|
|RA Key Expert||Polpharma||Poland|
|Medchem & Patent Manager||Poxel||France|
|Business Development Manager||Roche||Russia|
|Business Development Manager||Sandoz||Belgium|
|Asset Valorisation Manager||Sanofi||France|
|VP, Business Development and New Product Planning||Shionogi||United Kingdom|
|Business Development Manager||Temapharm||Poland|
|Portfolio Manager||Teva||Russian Federation|
Dates & Locations
All CELforPharma courses are held live online (hosted in Zoom) or in top-class four or five star hotels situated in easily accessible locations, either close to an international airport or near public transportation links in city centre locations.
12-13 October 2021, live online
9-10 December 2021, live online
10-11 May 2022, live online
4-5 October 2022, face-to-face in Brussels (*)
29-30 November 2022, live online
(*) This course takes place at the Courtyard Marriott Brussels Hotel which is located 15 minutes from Brussels National Airport by complimentary hotel shuttle or taxi and 30 minutes by taxi from Brussels South train station (Thalys, TGV, Eurostar).
Address: Avenue des Olympiades 6, 1140 Brussels, Belgium
Tel: +32 2 337 08 08
Hotel Booking Assistance
Having built a strong relationship with each hotel, CELforPharma has secured preferential room rates for our delegates who book their accommodation three weeks or more prior to the course. Upon your registration, we will help you make your hotel booking. For any assistance in this matter please do not hesitate to contact Kealeigh Steel, Course Administrator (email@example.com, tel +32 (0)2 709 01 45).
Included in the Registration Fee - for the live online course
- Access to a small-class (max 20 participants), expert led course in real-time, using an interactive platform for break-out rooms, whiteboard exercises, polling, plenary discussions and chats.
- Course material, which will be provided to you in both digital format (by email) and in hard copy (by post, so you can make notes during the course).
- Certificate of attendance signed by the expert and CELforPharma.
Included in the Registration Fee - for the face-to-face course
- Participation in a small-class (max 20 participants), expert led face-to-face course with interactive group exercises and plenary discussions. You will have the opportunity to meet the expert(s) and discuss your own projects/issues during the breaks.
- Course material, which will be provided to you in both digital format (by email) and in hard copy (so you can make notes during the course).
- Coffee, tea & refreshments during the course.
- Informal networking lunch.
- Certificate of attendance signed by the expert and CELforPharma.
Special Offer for Biotech Executives
Executives from biotech start-ups (companies that do not have products on the market yet) and academia can attend this course for € 2 070 (excl. VAT). Please contact Annelies Swaan, Director, Business Operations, (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
Team discounts can be offered to 3 or more delegates from the same company.
Contact Annelies Swaan, Director Business Operations, (email@example.com) for more details.
How to Register
- Click the "Register Here" button on this page.
- Choose a course date, then fill out your personal details and company / invoicing details.
- Choose to pay via bank transfer or by credit card.
- Click "Confirm Registration". You will be sent an automatic email confirming your registration followed by a personal email containing an invoice and further payment instructions.
For assistance in registering, raising a PO or invoicing, please do not hesitate to contact Kealeigh Steel.
(email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: +32 2 709 01 45)
Transfer & Cancellation Policy
- If a registrant cannot attend the scheduled course, he/she can avoid any cancellation charge by sending a suitable replacement participant.
- Alternatively, the registrant can transfer once at no extra cost, until 3 weeks prior to the event, to another course held within one year of the original course date.
- Up to 6 weeks prior to the course: cancellation fee of € 400 per participant.
- Up to 5 weeks prior to the course: 25% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Up to 4 weeks prior to the course: 50% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Up to 3 weeks prior to the course: 75% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Fewer than 3 weeks or if no notification received: registrant liable to pay invoiced registration fee.
- If a registrant postpones his/her participation to a future course, and cancels again, no refund can be claimed for registration fees.