Maaike Addicks, MD
- Independent Medical Affairs Consultant with expertise in Strategic Medical Affairs Development, Change Management and Medical Affairs Competency Development.
- Board Member and currently Chair of the Medical Affairs Committee of the Dutch Association of Pharmaceutical Medicine (NVFG).
- Physician with over 15 years of on-the-job experience in Medical Affairs in mid-size and big pharma, in both headquarters and national affiliates, across a wide spectrum of therapeutic areas.
- 10 years of experience in managing Medical Managers, Medical Advisors and MSLs, with both hands-on and strategic experience in Medical Affairs.
- To understand the full impact of the MSL role on the success of a pharmaceutical company.
- How you, as an MSL, add the greatest value and how to prioritise activities towards maximising this value.
- The structure and purpose of a Medical Plan, and how you can contribute to it.
- How to perform a SWOT and Confrontation Matrix such that the outcome determines the Critical Success Factors of your tactical plan.
- How to identify and map KOLs, how to structure your KOL plan and determine the optimal tactical mix, and how to build relationships based on mutual benefits.
- How to optimally plan and implement tactics: Advisory Boards, scientific interchange, CME, etc.
- How to optimally contribute to team performance and how to align your activities cross-functionally.
- Share best practices and discuss issues with MSLs from other companies.
- Discussions will help you to formulate and to better communicate the added value and the role of the MSL in your individual situation.
- Put the learnings into practice immediately through handy checklists and decision-support tools (e.g. Confrontation Matrix, Advisory Board Checklist, Medical Plan PowerPoint template, KOL planning Excel template).
Why You Should Attend
While the Medical Science Liaison (MSL) function is relatively new in the pharma industry, its role has become even more important during COVID-times, and that will remain so in the future. Therefore, all MSLs absolutely need to acquire critical business acumen competencies as early as possible in their career.
The impact of MSLs is potentially huge because they act at the forefront of the customer engagement process, at a very high and scientific level. However, to be impactful and make the difference, MSLs must understand how their role fits into the bigger picture and how to work effectively with the other roles in the company. They should know how to plan and implement tactics such that they optimally contribute to the success of a pharma company in its therapeutic markets. The successful MSL understands his/her internal and external stakeholders thoroughly, appreciates what drives them and knows how to add value.
The Content: This course provides you with a complete overview of the MSL function and with the theoretical insights to understand how to achieve the highest impact as an MSL. It is also very practical and hands-on: it dives deeply into the critical success factors and dos & don’ts of MSL tactics, and discusses common issues such as compliance and how to work effectively with other functions like marketing, sales and clinical. The content equips MSLs with concepts and tools to pro-actively plan the most impactful MSL tactics, to effectively implement them, and to work synergistically within teams.
The Expert: Maaike Addicks is a physician with over 15 years of experience in the field of Medical Affairs, having fulfilled many different roles within Medical Affairs departments, both on a local and international level. As a former leader in the Medical Department, she is very familiar with the expectations and challenges of MSLs, the issues they encounter and how to address them. Maaike is a passionate trainer, an excellent moderator and strongly believes in using interaction to increase knowledge and skills.
The Business Acumen for Medical Science Liaisons course is the only available public training course delivered by Maaike Addicks on this topic.
Agenda of the Business Acumen for MSLs course
Important: all hours are noted in CET/Brussels Time, so carefully convert into your local time zone!
Short breaks will be offered throughout the day.
Welcome & Audience Expectations (~30 min)
The Role of Medical Affairs – The Growing Impact of MSLs (~2 h)
Measuring and Demonstrating the Value of the MSL (~30 min)
The Medical Plan That Determines All Tactics in Medical Affairs (~3 h)
Close of Day 1
Recap of Day 1 (~15 min)
KOL Planning (~2 h)
KOL Engagement (~1 h 15 min)
Tactical Planning (~1 h)
Diving Deeper into MSL Tactics (~1 h 45 min)
Final Q&A (~15 min)
>> Click here if you wish to receive the PDF brochure of this course
Maaike is a passionate trainer with a strong preference for interactive learning styles. Her online MSL course includes group exercises and discussions, polls, whiteboard exercises, virtual break-out rooms, reading assignments, and plenary discussion sessions, all of which are designed to enable participants to not only apply the theory but also effectively learn from their peers. You also receive additional training materials and tools that you can refer to and use after completion of the course.
Real life examples from the Medical Affairs point of view will be used and discussed, and tools will be provided so that delegates can use the acquired new skills and knowledge in their daily job.
One of the most valuable aspects of attending any CELforPharma course is not only being able to have your specific questions answered by a leading expert, but also having the opportunity to meet, share experiences and have in-depth discussions with your international peers.
|The typical audience size of our courses ranges from 6 to 20 (max) participants.|
Who Should Attend?
This is the perfect course for all Medical Science Liaisons with a scientific profile that either have been recently recruited or only have some years of experience as an MSL (0-5 yrs).
As this course is delivered by Maaike Addicks, an Independent Medical Affairs Consultant, executives from other professional service agencies should request approval prior to registering for this course. Please contact Annelies Swaan, Director Business Operations, for more information (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel +32 (0)2 709 01 42).
Below is a non-exhaustive list of past participants who have benefited from attending this course.
|Sr. Director Medical Affairs EMEA||Abbott||Belgium|
|Medical Science Liaison||AbbVie||The Netherlands|
|Teamlead Medical Science Liaison Dermatology||AbbVie||Germany|
|Medical Science Liaison Manager Neurology||Alexion Pharma||Germany|
|Medical Science Liaison||Alexion Pharma||Germany|
|Medical Science Liaison Manager||Almirall||United Kingdom|
|Medical Science Liaison||Astellas||Greece|
|Medical Science Liaison||Daiichi Sankyo||United Kingdom|
|Corporate Medical Affairs||Dr. Schär||Italy|
|International MSL Associate Director||Ipsen Pharma||France|
|International MSL Director||Ipsen Pharma||France|
|Medical Science Liaison Thrombosis Benelux||LEO Pharma||Belgium|
|Medical Science Liaison||Medis||Croatia|
|Global MSL Excellence Manager||Merck||Germany|
|Director Medical Affairs||MorphoSys AG||Germany|
|Business Operations Lead Oncology EUCAN||MSD||United Kingdom|
|Medical Science Liaison||Novartis||The Netherlands|
|Senior Medical Manager - Insulins||Novo Nordisk||Switzerland|
|Clinical Science Manager||ONO Pharma UK||United Kingdom|
|Medical Science Liaison||Santen||United Kingdom|
|Medical Science Liaison||Santen||United Kingdom|
|Postdoctoral Research Associate||University of Liverpool||United Kingdom|
|Medical Advisor||Vifor Pharma||Belgium|
|Medical Science Liaison||Vifor Pharma||Austria|
Dates & Locations
Currently this CELforPharma course is planned to only be held live online (hosted in Zoom).
28-29 June 2022, live online
22-23 September 2022, live online
7-8 December 2022, live online
Included in the Registration Fee
- Access to a small-class (max 20 participants), expert led course in real-time, using an interactive platform for break-out rooms, whiteboard exercises, polling, plenary discussions and chats.
- Course material, which will be provided to you in both digital format (by email) and in hard copy (by post, so you can make notes during the course).
- Complementary reading material and MSL tools: Confrontation Matrix, Advisory Board Checklist, Medical Plan PowerPoint template, KOL planning Excel template.
- Certificate of attendance signed by the expert and CELforPharma.
- The expert Maaike Addicks, MD is available for Q&A via email after completion of the course.
Team discounts can be offered to 3 or more delegates from the same company.
Contact Annelies Swaan, Director Business Operations, (email@example.com) for more details.
How to Register
- Click the "Register Here" button on this page.
- Choose a course date, then fill out your personal details and company / invoicing details.
- Choose to pay via bank transfer or by credit card.
- Click "Confirm Registration". You will be sent an automatic email confirming your registration followed by a personal email containing an invoice and further payment instructions.
For assistance in registering, raising a PO or invoicing, please do not hesitate to contact Kealeigh Steel.
(email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: +32 2 709 01 45)
Transfer & Cancellation Policy
- If a registrant cannot attend the scheduled course, he/she can avoid any cancellation charge by sending a suitable replacement participant.
- Alternatively, the registrant can transfer once at no extra cost, until 3 weeks prior to the event, to another course held within one year of the original course date.
- Less than 14 days prior to the course date: registrant liable to pay the full invoiced registration fee.
- Between 15 and 30 days prior to the course date: registrant liable to pay 50% of the invoiced registration fee.
- More than 30 days prior to the course date: registrant liable to pay a cancellation fee of € 450 per registrant.
- If a registrant postpones his/her participation to a future course, and cancels again, no refund can be claimed for registration fees.