Maaike Addicks, MD
- Independent Medical Affairs Consultant with expertise in Strategic Medical Affairs Development, Change Management and Medical Affairs Competency Development.
- Board Member and currently Chair of the Medical Affairs Committee of the Dutch Association of Pharmaceutical Medicine (NVFG).
- Physician with over 15 years of on-the-job experience in Medical Affairs in mid-size and big pharma, in both headquarters and national affiliates, across a wide spectrum of therapeutic areas.
- 10 years of experience in managing Medical Managers, Medical Advisors and MSLs, with both hands-on and strategic experience in Medical Affairs.
- The different types of KOLs and the different roles KOLs can have in adding value to pharma/medtech products along the whole product lifecycle.
- The strategic value of Digital Opinion Leaders and Emerging KOLs.
- A process to pro-actively plan your KOL network and the activities that will address the strategic needs of your products as per the Medical/Brand Plan.
- The criteria and mapping tools that will enable you to precisely profile, identify and prioritise those KOLs that your products need most at each stage of their lifecycle.
- Best practices, dos & don’ts and expert advice on each step in the KOL planning process.
- How to communicate the value of your KOL plan and how to build a win-win collaboration with your internal stakeholders.
- How to capture the needs of your KOLs and use these insights to engage them.
- This course is a great opportunity for you to share ideas and discuss issues with your peers on the subject of KOL planning and engagement.
- You will receive handy templates to implement the process in real life after the course.
Why You Should Attend
A critical role of the Medical Affairs function is to engage with external stakeholders, in particular all healthcare providers (HCPs) who can have an impact on the success of a pharma/medtech product. Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) would typically include influential scientific and/or clinical thought leaders, but can also include other healthcare providers, depending on the product’s lifecycle stage and therapeutic area. “KOL management” is often not strategically planned in advance, as it is easy to fall into the trap of only working with a static and select group of important KOLs that are easy to work with. Without a thought-through pro-active planning process, the regular activities and interactions with KOLs can easily become a goal in itself. If you apply “strategic KOL management”, the KOLs you will work with, and how you will work with them, will ensure you optimally address the strategic needs of your products, as set in the Medical/Brand Plan.
The Content: This course is both strategic and very pragmatic. Since a product’s critical success factors change as it progresses through its lifecycle, what you need from your KOL network changes too, almost every year. This course will equip you with handy tools that will enable you to pro-actively plan your most effective KOL network and the mix of interactions that will optimally support the strategic goals of your products.
The Expert: As an independent Medical Affairs consultant, Maaike has advised and coached many Medical Affairs departments since 2017. She also “lived” the function, with 15 years of experience fulfilling many different roles in the field of Medical Affairs, both on a local and international level. As a former leader in the Medical Department, she is very familiar with the expectations and challenges of MSLs and Medical Advisors, the issues they encounter and how to address them. Maaike is a passionate trainer, an excellent moderator and strongly believes in using interaction to increase knowledge and skills.
The Strategic KOL Planning & Engagement course is the only available public training course delivered by Maaike Addicks on this topic.
Agenda of Strategic KOL Planning & Engagement
For start and end times, please check Dates & Locations below.
Welcome & Audience Expectations (~30 min)
KOL Essentials (~30 min)
How to Work Out a Strategic KOL Plan (~1 h 45 min)
Rising Stars & Digital Opinion Leaders (~30 min)
Engaging Internal Stakeholders (~1 h 30 min)
KOL Engagement (~1 h 15 min)
Q&A and Wrap-Up (~30 min)
>> Click here if you wish to receive the PDF brochure of this course
In this 1-day course, interactive lectures alternate with discussion sessions, and the programme includes one major group exercise. Maaike is a passionate trainer, with a very articulate and engaging presentation style. She makes very good use of polls and virtual break-out rooms in this live online course. The tools that you will use during the group exercise will be provided as templates so that you can use the acquired new skills and knowledge in your daily job.
One of the most valuable aspects of attending any CELforPharma course is not only being able to have your specific questions answered by a leading expert, but also having the opportunity to share experiences and have in-depth discussions with your international peers.
|The typical audience size of our courses ranges from 6 to 20 (max) participants.|
Who Should Attend?
This course is designed for anyone in a Medical Affairs function where success is largely determined by interactions with Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs).
This would typically include Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) and Medical Advisors who start to work in a new therapeutic area.
But also experienced MA employees working with a KOL list/plan that has not (yet) been developed with a strategic design process starting from the Medical/Brand Plan, will greatly benefit from this course.
As this course is delivered by Maaike Addicks, an Independent Medical Affairs Consultant, executives from other professional service agencies should request approval prior to registering for this course. Please contact Annelies Swaan, Director Business Operations, for more information (email@example.com, tel +32 (0)2 709 01 42).
Below is a non-exhaustive list of past participants who have benefited from attending this course.
|Medical & Product Advisor||Biocodex||France|
|Medical Affairs Operations Manager||Biomerieux||France|
|Global Scientific Relations Manager||Boehringer Ingelheim||Germany|
|Global Medical Franchise Lead||Galderma||Sweden|
|Senior Medical Affairs Manager||Grifols||Spain|
|Medical Lead||Johnson & Johnson||Slovenia|
|Head Medical Affairs||Merz Aesthetics||The Netherlands|
|Head of Global Medical Affairs||Merz Therapeutics||Germany|
|Senior Medical Project Manager||Molecular Health||Germany|
Dates & Locations
Currently this CELforPharma course is planned to only be held live online (hosted in Zoom).
The start and end times for all below sessions will be: 09:30 - 17:00 CET (Brussels/Amsterdam/Paris).
27 September 2023, live online
29 November 2023, live online
Included in the Registration Fee
- Access to a small-class (max 20 participants), expert led course in real-time, using an interactive platform for break-out rooms, whiteboard exercises, polling, plenary discussions and chats.
- Course material, which will be provided to you in both digital format (by email) and in hard copy (by post, so you can make notes during the course).
- Certificate of attendance signed by the expert and CELforPharma.
- The expert Maaike Addicks, MD is available for Q&A via email after completion of the course.
Team discounts can be offered to 3 or more delegates from the same company.
Contact Annelies Swaan, Director Business Operations, (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
How to Register
- Click the "Register Here" button on this page.
- Choose a course date, then fill out your personal details and company / invoicing details.
- Choose to pay via bank transfer or by credit card (through a secure payment link, which you will receive together with the invoice).
- Click "Confirm Registration". You will be sent an automatic email confirming your registration followed by a personal email containing an invoice and further payment instructions.
For assistance in registering, raising a PO or invoicing, please do not hesitate to contact Kealeigh Steel.
(email: email@example.com or call: +32 2 709 01 45)
Transfer & Cancellation Policy
- If a registrant cannot attend the scheduled course, he/she can avoid any cancellation charge by sending a suitable replacement participant.
- Alternatively, the registrant can transfer once on a “space available” basis at no extra cost, until 3 weeks prior to the event, to another course of the same value held within one year of the original course date.
- Less than 14 days prior to the course date: registrant liable to pay the full invoiced registration fee.
- Between 15 and 30 days prior to the course date: registrant liable to pay 50% of the invoiced registration fee.
- More than 30 days prior to the course date: registrant liable to pay a cancellation fee of € 450 per registrant.
- If a registrant postpones his/her participation to a future course, and cancels again, no refund can be claimed for registration fees.