Maaike Addicks, MD
- Physician with over 15 years of experience in Medical Affairs in mid-size and big pharma, in both headquarters and national affiliates, across a wide spectrum of therapeutic areas.
- Maaike has 10 years of experience in managing Medical Managers, Medical Advisors and MSLs, with both hands-on and strategic experience in Medical Affairs.
- Experienced in Medical Affairs Development, as well as Change Management in different companies.
- The impact of the MSL role on the success of pharmaceutical brands.
- The concepts and analytical tools used in medical planning to decide on strategies and tactics with the highest impact.
- KOL engagement: How to identify KOLs, make a solid KOL plan and how to build relationships based on mutual benefits.
- How to optimally plan and implement tactics: Advisory Boards, scientific interchange, CME, etc.
- How to showcase the impact and value of an MSL, using the Medical Plan and the right metrics.
- How to work cross-functionally with your colleagues in Sales, Marketing, Market Access …
- Share best practices and discuss issues with MSLs from other companies.
- Discussions will help you formulate the added value and the role of the MSL in your individual situation.
- Return to the office with handy checklists and decision-support tools (e.g. Confrontation Matrix, Advisory Board Checklist, etc.).
Why You Should Attend
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) function is relatively new and its importance is rapidly growing throughout the pharma industry. Its impact in the pharmaceutical playing field is potentially huge because MSLs are at the forefront of the customer engagement process, at a very high and scientific level. However, to be impactful and make the difference, MSLs must understand how their role fits into the bigger picture and how to work effectively with the other roles in the company. They should know how to plan and implement tactics such that they optimally contribute to the success of a pharma company in its therapeutic markets. The successful MSL understands his/her internal and external stakeholders thoroughly, appreciates what drives them and knows how to add value.
The Content: This course not only provides you with the theoretical insights to understand how to achieve the highest impact as an MSL, it is also very practical and hands-on: it dives deeply into the critical success factors and dos & don’ts of MSL tactics, and discusses common issues such as compliance and teamwork. The content equips MSLs with concepts and tools to pro-actively plan the most impactful MSL tactics, to effectively implement them, and to work synergistically within teams.
The Expert: Maaike Addicks is a physician with over 15 years of experience in the field of Medical Affairs, having fulfilled many different roles within Medical Affairs departments, both on a local and international level. As a former leader in the Medical Department, she is very familiar with the expectations and challenges of MSLs, the issues they encounter and how to address them. Maaike is a passionate trainer, an excellent moderator and strongly believes in using interaction to increase knowledge and skills.
The Business Acumen for Medical Science Liaisons course is the only available public training course delivered by Maaike Addicks on this topic.
Agenda of the Business Acumen for Medical Science Liaisons course
Welcome & Audience Expectations
The Changing Role of Medical Affairs and Growing Impact of MSLs
The Medical Plan That Determines All Tactics in Medical Affairs
Group Exercise on SWOTs, CSFs and Strategies
Key Opinion Leader Management
MSL Tactics Workshop (1) – The Why, the Success Factors and Issues of:
MSL Tactics Workshop (2) – The Why, the Success Factors and Issues of:
Advisory Board Meetings
Planning MSL Tactics for Optimal Impact
Group Exercise on MSL Tactics Decision Making
The Value of the MSL Role: How to Measure and Showcase Success
Increasing the MSL’s Impact Within Cross-Functional Teams
>> Click here if you wish to receive the PDF brochure of this course
Maaike is a passionate trainer with a strong preference for interactive learning styles. Her course includes group exercises and plenary discussion sessions which are designed to enable participants to not only apply the theory but also effectively learn from each other.
Real life examples from the Medical Affairs point of view will be used and discussed, and tools will be provided so that delegates can use the acquired new skills and knowledge in their daily job.
One of the most valuable aspects of attending any C.E.L.forpharma course is not only being able to have your specific questions answered by a leading expert, but also having the opportunity to share experiences and have in-depth discussions with your international peers.
|The typical audience size of our courses ranges from 6 to 24 (max) participants.|
Who Should Attend?
This is the perfect course for all new Medical Science Liaisons and those with some years of experience (0-4 yrs).
In addition, this course will benefit Medical Affairs Managers in smaller companies where their role often includes both medical management and MSL tasks.
Finally, the discussions and general overview may help MSL Leads and other MA staff to understand the challenges and opportunities of the MSL function, and how they can best support MSL teams to maximise their impact.
Below is a non-exhaustive list of past participants who have benefited from attending this course.
|Sr. Director Medical Affairs EMEA||Abbott||Belgium|
|Medical Science Liaison||AbbVie||The Netherlands|
|Teamlead Medical Science Liaison Dermatology||AbbVie||Germany|
|Medical Science Liaison Manager Neurology||Alexion Pharma||Germany|
|Medical Science Liaison||Alexion Pharma||Germany|
|Medical Science Liaison Manager||Almirall||United Kingdom|
|Medical Science Liaison||Astellas||Greece|
|Medical Science Liaison||Daiichi Sankyo||United Kingdom|
|Corporate Medical Affairs||Dr. Schär||Italy|
|International MSL Associate Director||Ipsen Pharma||France|
|International MSL Director||Ipsen Pharma||France|
|Medical Science Liaison Thrombosis Benelux||LEO Pharma||Belgium|
|Medical Science Liaison||Medis||Croatia|
|Global MSL Excellence Manager||Merck||Germany|
|Director Medical Affairs||MorphoSys AG||Germany|
|Business Operations Lead Oncology EUCAN||MSD||United Kingdom|
|Medical Science Liaison||Novartis||The Netherlands|
|Senior Medical Manager - Insulins||Novo Nordisk||Switzerland|
|Clinical Science Manager||ONO Pharma UK||United Kingdom|
|Medical Science Liaison||Santen||United Kingdom|
|Medical Science Liaison||Santen||United Kingdom|
|Postdoctoral Research Associate||University of Liverpool||United Kingdom|
|Medical Advisor||Vifor Pharma||Belgium|
|Medical Science Liaison||Vifor Pharma||Austria|
Dates & Locations
17-18 October 2019, Zurich
This course takes place at the Hilton Zurich Airport Hotel which is located just five minutes from Zurich Kloten Airport with the complimentary shuttle. Zurich’s vibrant city centre is located only a fifteen minutes’ drive away.
Address: Hohenbuehlstrasse 10, Opfikon-Glattbrugg 8152, Switzerland
Tel: +41 44 828 50 50
27-28 November 2019, Brussels
This course takes place at the Courtyard Marriott Brussels Hotel which is located 15 minutes from Brussels National Airport by complimentary hotel shuttle or taxi and 30 minutes by taxi from Brussels South train station (Thalys, TGV, Eurostar).
Address: Avenue des Olympiades 6, 1140 Brussels, Belgium
Tel: +32 2 337 08 08
Hotel Booking Assistance
Having built a strong relationship with each hotel, C.E.L.forpharma has secured preferential room rates for our delegates who book their accommodation three weeks or more prior to the course. Upon your registration, we will help you make your hotel booking. For any assistance in this matter please do not hesitate to contact Sarah Nissen, Programme Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel +32 (0)2 709 01 46).
Included in the Registration Fee
- Course Material (Digital & Print Versions)
- Coffee, Tea & Refreshments During the Course
- Lunch During the Course
- A Group Dinner on the First Day
- Certificate of Attendance Signed by the Expert
Team discounts can be offered to 3 or more delegates from the same company.
Contact Inge Cornelis, Director Commercial Communications, (email@example.com) for more details.
How to Register
- Click the "Register Here" button on this page.
- Choose a course date, then fill out your personal details and company / invoicing details.
- Choose to pay via bank transfer / invoice or by credit card.
- Click "Confirm Registration". You will be sent an automatic email confirming your registration followed by a personal email containing a pro-forma invoice and further payment instructions.
For assistance in registering, raising a PO or invoicing, please do not hesitate to contact Britt De Cat.
(email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: +32 2 709 01 44)
Transfer & Cancellation Policy
- If a registrant cannot attend the scheduled course, he/she can avoid any cancellation charge by sending a suitable replacement participant.
- Alternatively, the registrant can transfer once on a “space available” basis at no extra cost, until 3 weeks prior to the event, to another course held within one year of the original course date.
- Up to 6 weeks prior to the course: cancellation fee of € 400 per participant.
- Up to 5 weeks prior to the course: 25% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Up to 4 weeks prior to the course: 50% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Up to 3 weeks prior to the course: 75% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Fewer than 3 weeks or if no notification received: registrant liable to pay invoiced registration fee.
- If a registrant postpones his/her participation to a future course, and cancels again, no refund can be claimed for registration fees.