- Martin uniquely combines a wealth of BD experience with entertainment talent.
- A former senior BD executive with Roche and Paul Capital Partners.
- Board member of several start-ups and Founder of TransformRx.
- Author of Business Development for the Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Industry (Gower, 2008) and Licensing, Selling and Finance in the Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Industries (Gower, 2012)
By Attending This Course, You Will
- Grasp the entire process of deal-making within the pharmaceutical and biotech industries, and learn the language, the concepts and tools from a practitioner’s point of view.
- Know how to profile the most suitable products for your company’s profile, and where to search for the opportunities.
- Grasp the principles of valuation and know what works best for which purpose.
- Get expert advice on negotiation strategy and tools, and on how to best conduct the interactions.
- Learn what makes up a good term sheet and how to assess those from other parties.
- Know how to best manage the contract phase and how to avoid the financial and legal pitfalls that can break a deal.
- Capitalise on Martin Austin’s vast experience in concluding and financing successful deals in the pharma and life science biotech industries.
Why You Should Attend
The Content: Unlike other courses that focus on a particular skill or aspect, this programme addresses all key steps in the pharma business development process, equipping you with powerful decision-support tools, expert insight into key success factors and time-saving advice.
The Expert: All past participants admired Martin Austin’s enormous expertise and experience. His background is rather unique, combining big pharma business development with senior life science capital investment experience.
The Pharma Business Development Course is the only available public training course delivered by Martin Austin on the topic of business development.
Registration & Welcome Coffee
Welcome & General Introduction
Profiling the Opportunities that will be Successful for your Company
Profiling the Opportunities that will be Successful for your Company (cont’d)
Searching for the Right Candidate(s)
Valuing the Opportunity
Valuing the Opportunity (cont’d)
Deciding on the Best Deal Structure
Deciding on the Best Deal Structure (cont’d)
Negotiating the Deal
Negotiating the Deal (cont’d)
Financial & Legal Success Factors / Considerations
Impact of Generics and Biosimilars
Martin Austin optimally balances theory with short exercises and numerous anecdotes that illustrate the theory. The strength of this course lies in providing a comprehensive overview of the business development process, illustrated by many examples from Martin's vast experience, as well as the many checklists and decision support techniques & tools that can be used in each step.
One of the most valuable aspects of attending any C.E.L.forpharma course is not only being able to have your specific questions answered by a leading expert, but also having the opportunity to share experiences and have in-depth discussions with your international peers.
|The typical audience size of our courses ranges from 6 to 24 (max) participants.|
Who Should Attend?
The Pharma Business Development Course has proven to be a very successful introductory course for two categories of executives:
- Mid to senior level executives in small pharma and biotech companies with limited formal training in business development but whose role increasingly involves business development activities.
- Junior to mid-level managers contributing to the business development process in the headquarters of midsize and big pharma companies (e.g. technology assessment, business intelligence…) who need a better understanding of the complete business development process.
Managers in local marketing organisations with responsibility for business development in national markets will also benefit but they should be aware that the course content is geared towards international licensing and acquisition BD responsibilities.
Below is a non-exhaustive list of past participants who have benefited from attending this course.
|New Business Development Manager||Abbott||France|
|Director, Global Forecasting and Commercial Analytics||Abbvie||USA|
|Director Business Development||Acino Pharma||Switzerland|
|Licensing and Contract Marketing Manager||Actavis||Serbia|
|Manager, Corporate Business Development, Licensing, Gastrointestinal & Pain||Almirall||Spain|
|Bussines Development & Licensing Manager||Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals||Russian Federation|
|Manager Business Development||Fresenius Kabi||Germany|
|Financial Project Evaluation Manager||Galderma||France|
|Director, Business Development||GlaxoSmithKline||Belgium|
|Strategic Marketing Manager||Helsinn||Switzerland|
|Associate Director Program Manager Research & Early Development||Janssen||Belgium|
|Senior Director, Head of R&D Quality & Compliance Business Development||Johnson & Johnson||Netherlands|
|Medical Director||LEO Pharma||Switzerland|
|ITB France Supervisor||Meda||France|
|Junior Manager Business Development||Mundipharma||Germany|
|Director Strategic Planning||Novartis||Switzerland|
|Business Development Director||Orion||Finland|
|International Product Manager EMEA||Orphan Europe||France|
|Business Development Lead - Africa & Middle East Region||Pfizer||United Arab Emirates|
|Strategic Partnering Associate||Roche||Switzerland|
|Strategic Portfolio Manager||Roche Diagnostics||Switzerland|
|Business Development & New Product Planning Executive||Sanofi||United Kingdom|
|Business Development Director||Servier||Russian Federation|
|BD Project Leader||Stallergenes||France|
|Regional Medical Director Emerging Markets, Global Medical Affairs||Takeda||Switzerland|
|Director, Specialty Life Cycle Initiatives Global Specialty Medicines||Teva||Belgium|
|Associate Director, Global Market Access & Pricing CNS||UCB||Belgium|
|Market Research & Alliance Manager||Vifor Pharma||Switzerland|
|Licensing and Business Development Specialist||Zambon||Italy|
Dates & Locations
17-18 April 2018, Zurich
This course takes place at the Hilton Zurich Airport Hotel which is located just five minutes from Zurich Kloten Airport with the complimentary shuttle. Zurich’s vibrant city centre is located only a fifteen minutes’ drive away.
Address: Hohenbuehlstrasse 10, Opfikon-Glattbrugg 8152, Switzerland
Tel: +41 44 828 50 50
25-26 September 2018, Brussels
This course takes place at the Parker Hotel Brussels Airport which is located 5 minutes from Brussels National Airport by complimentary hotel shuttle and 30 minutes by taxi from Brussels South train station (Thalys, TGV, Eurostar).
Address: Bessenveldstraat 15, 1831 Diegem, Belgium
Tel: +32 2 713 66 66
11-12 December 2018, London
This course takes place at the Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel which is located on the perimeter of Heathrow Airport, a short taxi or bus journey from the terminal where the Heathrow Express service to Central London is also situated.
Address: Bath Road, Hounslow, TW6 2AQ, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 20 88 97 63 63
Hotel Booking Assistance
Having built a strong relationship with each hotel, C.E.L.forpharma has secured preferential room rates for our delegates who book their accommodation three weeks or more prior to the course. Upon your registration, we will help you make your hotel booking. For any assistance in this matter please do not hesitate to contact Sarah Nissen, Programme Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel +32 (0)2 709 01 46).
Included in the Registration Fee
- Course Material (Digital & Print Versions)
- Coffee, Tea & Refreshments During the Course
- Lunch During the Course
- A Group Dinner on the First Day
- Certificate of Attendance Signed by the Expert
Team discounts can be offered to 3 or more delegates from the same company. Contact Annelies Swaan, Head of Business Operations, (email@example.com) for more details.
How to Register
- Click the "Register Here" button on this page.
- Choose a course date, then fill out your personal details and company / invoicing details.
- Choose to pay via bank transfer / invoice or by credit card.
- Click "Confirm Registration". You will be sent an automatic email confirming your registration followed by a personal email containing a pro-forma invoice and further payment instructions.
For assistance in registering, raising a PO or invoicing, please do not hesitate to contact Britt De Cat.
(email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: +32 2 709 01 44)
Transfer & Cancellation Policy
- If a registrant cannot attend the scheduled course, he/she can avoid any cancellation charge by sending a suitable replacement participant.
- Alternatively the registrant can transfer once on a “space available” basis at no extra cost, until 1 week prior to the event, to another course held within one year of the original course date.
- Cancelling 5 weeks or more prior to the course: cancellation fee of €250.
- Cancelling 4 to 3 weeks prior to the course: 25% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Cancelling 14 to 7 working days prior to the course: 50% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Fewer than 7 working days or if no notification received: registrant liable to pay invoiced registration fee.
- If a registrant postpones his/her participation to a future course, and cancels again, no refund can be claimed for paid registration fees.