Prof. Dr. Brian D. Smith
- The world’s leading authority on the evolution of the life science industry, Brian leads the only research group in the world that applies evolutionary economics to the life science sector.
- A former industry executive and advisor to many leading firms, Brian has almost 40 years’ industry experience in pharma & medtech markets.
- Author of over 300 publications, including the influential books The Future of Pharma (Gower, 2011) and Darwin’s Medicine (Gower, 2016)
By Attending This Course, You Will
- Understand how evolutionary science applies to the life sciences industry.
- Discover the 6 fundamental shifts in pharma & medtech’s environment that will determine which business models will thrive and which will fail.
- Learn about the fragmentation of the industry landscape into 26 business models.
- Know how to identify potential new business models best suited to your company at the global, regional and local levels.
- Learn the process to accelerate the evolution of your business models.
- Understand the role that your business unit or affiliate can play in the evolution of your company.
- Receive Professor Smith’s new book Darwin’s Medicine: How Business Models in the Life Science Industry Are Evolving – which is a complete guide to understanding and directing the evolution of your company.
Why You Should Attend
The life science industry is subject to enormous social and technological evolutionary pressures, from demographics and economics to systems medicine and the information revolution. Adapting your business model in a focused, timely and competitive manner will mean the difference between growth vs. decline. Therefore, decision makers in pharma, medtech and related companies must understand the industry’s evolution and learn how to accelerate the evolution of the business models best suited to their company at all levels (global, regional and local). The only way to survive and thrive is to evolve faster and more efficiently than your competition!
The Content: This senior executive seminar will give you a research-based, evolutionary science understanding of why and how the pharma and medtech industry is changing, resulting in many more types of business models in the future than there are now. This foresight will leave you with a much deeper understanding of where your industry is headed and how you can proactively adapt to those changes in a strategic, rather than simply reactive, manner.
The Expert: Prof. Dr. Brian D Smith is uniquely qualified to deliver this seminar. Whilst the term is often misused, Professor Smith is truly a thought leader in the life sciences sector. He has worked in and with the industry for almost 40 years, first as a research chemist, then in commercial roles and now as an academic, author and advisor. Widely published and globally renowned, nobody knows and understands our industry’s evolution better. He has worked in, researched and advised on a vast range of disease areas and product categories. This allows him to engage audiences in a way that is both knowledgeable and practical with ideas that are both thought leading and useful. His challenging, lively style will encourage you to rethink and reframe the way you look at your business and the changing healthcare environment. All attendees of the seminar will receive a signed copy of Darwin’s Medicine and a complete collection of Professor Smith’s publications.
Transforming Your Pharma & Medtech Business Model course is the only available public training course delivered by Prof. Dr. Brian D Smith on the topic of emerging pharma business models.
Welcome & Audience Expectations
First Principles: Applying Evolutionary Science to Industries
The 6 Fundamental Shifts Shaping the Life Science Sector
The Evolution of Business Models in Pharma & Medtech
A Roadmap for Business Model Evolution
Wrap Up & Take Homes
Delegates will be encouraged to consider what they have learnt, its relevance to their company and how it might influence what they do when they get back to their office.
The seminar is designed and delivered as an intensive, interactive programme for senior executives. Professor Smith’s seminars are always described as “thought provoking” and “insightful”. They are often also described as “challenging” and “paradigm shifting”.
You will be strongly encouraged to ask questions and bring your own challenges and experiences to the meeting. In addition to learning from Professor Smith’s research and experience, you will gain from sharing knowledge with your peers across the industry.
One of the most valuable aspects of attending any C.E.L.forpharma course is not only being able to have your specific questions answered by a leading expert, but also having the opportunity to share experiences and have in-depth discussions with your international peers.
|The typical audience size of our courses ranges from 6 to 24 (max) participants.|
Who Should Attend?
As, in the future, business models within a company can differ between the global, regional and local level, all senior level executives in pharma and medtech companies will benefit from attending this seminar, primarily those in positions that contribute to competitive strategy and organisational development. More specifically, executives heading:
- Business units
- Country affiliates and regional offices
- Functional departments, such as Finance, Strategic Planning, Strategic Marketing, Medical Affairs, Market Access, Business Development, R&D, Organisational Development, etc.
As this course is delivered by Prof. Dr. Brian D Smith, who also runs a special advisory firm, executives from professional service agencies should request approval prior to registering for this course. Please contact Annelies Swaan, Head of Business Operations, for more information (email@example.com, tel +32 (0)2 709 01 42).
Below is a non-exhaustive list of past participants who have benefited from attending this course.
|Vice President||Allergan||United Kingdom|
|General Manager||Almirall||United Kingdom|
|VP Medical Affairs EMEA, Medical Devices||Janssen||United Kingdom|
|Group Therapeutic Area Director||Janssen||Hungary|
|Transformation Project Director||Servier||France|
|Strategic Forecasting Director||Servier||France|
|Finance Control Manager||Servier||France|
|Commercial Excellence Director||Takeda||Belgium|
|Business Unit Director Internal Medicine & Established Products||Takeda||Belgium|
|Global Director, Specialty Life Cycle Management||Teva||Belgium|
|Strategic Projects Lead||UCB||United Kingdom|
|Talent Solution Partner||UCB||Belgium|
|Operations Lead Neurology Europe||UCB||The Netherlands|
Dates & Locations
16 November 2017, Zurich
This course takes place at the Hilton Zurich Airport Hotel which is located just five minutes from Zurich Kloten Airport with the complimentary shuttle. Zurich’s vibrant city centre is located only a fifteen minutes’ drive away.
Address: Hohenbuehlstrasse 10, Opfikon-Glattbrugg 8152, Switzerland
Tel: +41 44 828 50 50
20 June 2018, London
This course takes place at the Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel which is located on the perimeter of Heathrow Airport, a short taxi or bus journey from the terminal where the Heathrow Express service to Central London is also situated.
Address: Bath Road, Hounslow, TW6 2AQ, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 20 88 97 63 63
28 November 2018, Brussels
This course takes place at the Parker Hotel Brussels Airport which is located 5 minutes from Brussels National Airport by complimentary hotel shuttle and 30 minutes by taxi from Brussels South train station (Thalys, TGV, Eurostar).
Address: Bessenveldstraat 15, 1831 Diegem, Belgium
Tel: +32 2 713 66 66
Hotel Booking Assistance
Having built a strong relationship with each hotel, C.E.L.forpharma has secured preferential room rates for our delegates who book their accommodation three weeks or more prior to the course. Upon your registration, we will help you make your hotel booking. For any assistance in this matter please do not hesitate to contact Sarah Nissen, Programme Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel +32 (0)2 709 01 46).
Included in the Registration Fee
- Course Material (Digital & Print Versions)
- Coffee, Tea & Refreshments During the Course
- Lunch During the Course
- Certificate of Attendance Signed by the Expert
- A Signed Copy of: Darwin's Medicine: How Business Models in the Life Sciences Industry are Evolving (Brian D. Smith, 2016)
Team discounts can be offered to 3 or more delegates from the same company. Contact Annelies Swaan, Head of Business Operations, (email@example.com) for more details.
How to Register
- Click the "Register Here" button on this page.
- Choose a course date, then fill out your personal details in step 1 and company / invoicing details in step 2.
- Choose to pay via bank transfer / invoice or by credit card.
- Click "Confirm Registration". You will be sent an automatic email confirming your registration followed by a personal email containing a pro-forma invoice and further payment instructions.
For assistance in registering, raising a PO or invoicing, please do not hesitate to contact Britt De Cat.
(email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: +32 2 709 01 44)
Transfer & Cancellation Policy
- If a registrant cannot attend the scheduled course, he/she can avoid any cancellation charge by sending a suitable replacement participant.
- Alternatively, the registrant can transfer once on a “space available” basis at no extra cost, until 1 week prior to the event, to another course held within one year of the original course date.
- Cancelling 5 weeks or more prior to the course: cancellation fee of €250.
- Cancelling 4 to 3 weeks prior to the course: 25% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Cancelling 14 to 7 working days prior to the course: 50% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Fewer than 7 working days or if no notification received: registrant liable to pay invoiced registration fee.
- If a registrant postpones his/her participation to a future course, and cancels again, no refund can be claimed for paid registration fees.