Dr. Patrik Frei
- Europe’s top valuation expert of high-growth life science companies.
- Patrik is Founder & CEO of Venture Valuation AG, specialists in independent assessments and valuation of emerging high-growth companies in biotechnology and life sciences.
- Patrik and his team carried out valuations for the Novartis Venture Fund.
- Author of Assessment and Valuation of High Growth Companies.
- Owner of Biotechgate, the global business development database for the life science industry. Leave your details here for more information.
By Attending This Course, You Will
- Know what determines the value of life science biotechs and emerging pharma companies.
- Gain a thorough understanding of key valuation terms, concepts, tools & techniques.
- Be able to assess the risk profile of a biotech company prior to its valuation.
- Learn and practice how to calculate the value of a biotech company.
- Learn and practice how to calculate the value of a development compound (using an Excel tool you can take home and use for any other compound in development).
- Know how to structure licensing deals between pharma and biotech, covering issues such as milestones and royalty payments.
Why You Should Attend
Valuation is an inherently subjective task which is made even more difficult in the life science industry due its unique challenges: high attrition rates in R&D, long investment cycle, complex technologies and IP situations, etc. Therefore, traditional valuation methods are not suitable.
The Content: This course is designed to teach you a systematic approach to producing a valuation which can be used in investment rounds, mergers/acquisitions, licensing deals or strategic development decisions in the pharma-biotech world. It goes beyond the number-crunching techniques of most consultants and includes difficult to define qualitative factors which shape the risk profile of the company in question.
The Expert: Patrik Frei is a leading expert in the valuation of life science companies and his combination of knowledge and experience allows him to speak with authority on the subject. Patrik wrote the first book on the valuation of high-growth companies and holds a Ph.D in the field. His company, Venture Valuation, has completed over 400 independent company and product valuations.
The Pharma-Biotech Product & Company Valuation - An Introductory Course is the only available public training course delivered by Patrik Frei on the topic of Valuation.
Introduction to Valuation: What – Why - When
How to Assess a Company Prior to Valuation
Company Valuation - Interactive Lecture:
Group work on a case study:
Product Valuation & Deal Structuring - Interactive Lecture:
Group work on a case study:
Final Discussion & Wrap-up
This course optimally balances interactive lectures with practical group work exercises which are designed to help you practice the fundamental valuation tools & techniques taught throughout the day.
Of particular value in this course is the Product Valuation and Deal Structuring module where you will learn the commonly used rNPV (risk-adjusted Net Present Value) method for calculating the value of a drug in development. Subsequently, you will practice how to structure a licensing deal between companies. You will use an Excel-based tool designed specifically for this module (which can be taken home).
One of the most valuable aspects of attending any C.E.L.forpharma course is not only being able to have your specific questions answered by a leading expert, but also having the opportunity to share experiences and have in-depth discussions with your international peers.
|The typical audience size of our courses ranges from 6 to 24 (max) participants.|
Who Should Attend?
This is an introductory course and therefore very valuable for pharma and biotech executives who are not familiar with compound and company valuations but need a thorough understanding of the valuation concepts and techniques that are commonly applied in the pharma and biotech industries.
Below is a non-exhaustive list of past participants who have benefited from attending this course.
|Corp. Business Development Manager||ALK||Denmark|
|Executive Evaluation Director, CVGI||AstraZeneca||Sweden|
|Portfolio & Business Development Manager||AstraZeneca||Japan|
|Head of BD||Avexxin||Norway|
|Technical Assessment Analyst||Baxter||Austria|
|Director, Business Development & Alliance Management||Camurus||Sweden|
|Vice President Business Development||Cellectar Biosciences||USA|
|Senior Director Business Development||Celonic||Switzerland|
|Corporate Development & Licensing Manager||Chiesi||Italy|
|Senior Manager Business Development & Licensing||Daiichi Sankyo||Germany|
|Head of Operations||EATRIS||Netherlands|
|Technology Transfer Specialist||Genoma Espana||Spain|
|Director Corporate Development||Immune Pharma||USA|
|New Business Development Manager||Janssen||UK|
|Business Development Manager||JSC Farmak||Ukraine|
|Director, Life Sciences||Licentia||Finland|
|Associate Director - Corporate Business Development||Lundbeck||Denmark|
|Business Development Director||Medical Futures||Canada|
|Director, Strategy and Business Operations||Merck Serono||Germany|
|Managing Director||Monitus Research||United Kingdom|
|Senior Manager Business Development||Morphosys||Germany|
|CEO||NewLab Life Sciences||Canada|
|Marketing and Business Development||Pharmabio-MBD||France|
|Managing Director - Dermatology & Cosmetics||Pierre Fabre||Germany|
|General Manager||Pnn Medical||Switzerland|
|Director of Business Development||Roche||USA|
|VP Finance & Business Development||Siena Biotech||Italy|
|Head of International Marketing Intelligence||Sigma-Tau||Italy|
|Strategy Analyst||Sotio||Czech Republic|
|Valuation and Compliance Officer||Sterling IP||UK|
|Director Business Development||Therabel||France|
|Attorney at Law||Ventac Partners||USA|
|Senior Business Development Manager||VIB||Belgium|
|Director, Business Development||Vifor Pharma||UK|
|Business Development Manager||VU Medical Center||Netherlands|
|Investment Executive||WDC Investment Fund||Ireland|
|Pipeline Development & Science Intelligence||Zambon||Italy|
Dates & Locations
19 March 2017, Barcelona
Back-to-Back with BIO-Europe Spring
This course will take place at the Hotel SB Diagonal Zero Barcelona, the main conference venue of BIO-Europe Spring 2017. The hotel is located near the marina and is easily accessible from the airport or city centre by metro and taxi.
Address: Plaça Llevant, s/n, 08019 Barcelona, Spain
Tel: +34 93 50 78 000
22 November 2017, Zurich
This course takes place at the Hilton Zurich Airport Hotel which is located just five minutes from Zurich Kloten Airport with the complimentary shuttle. Zurich’s vibrant city centre is located only a fifteen minutes’ drive away.
Address: Hohenbuehlstrasse 10, Opfikon-Glattbrugg 8152, Switzerland
Tel: +41 44 828 50 50
Hotel Booking Assistance
Having built a strong relationship with each hotel, C.E.L.forpharma has secured preferential room rates for our delegates who book their accommodation three weeks or more prior to the course. Upon your registration, we will help you make your hotel booking. For any assistance in this matter please do not hesitate to contact Sarah Nissen, Programme Coordinator (email@example.com, tel +32 (0)2 709 01 46).
Included in the Registration Fee
- Course Material (Digital & Print Versions)
- Coffee, Tea & Refreshments During the Course
- Lunch During the Course
- Certificate of Attendance Signed by the Expert
Special Offer for Biotech Executives
Executives from biotech start-ups (companies that do not have products on the market yet) are eligible for a €400 discount on the full registration fee of this course. Please contact Annelies Swaan, Head of Business Operations (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
Team discounts can be offered to 3 or more delegates from the same company. Contact Annelies Swaan, Head of Business Operations, (email@example.com) for more details.
How to Register
- Click the "Register Now" button on this page.
- Choose a course date, then fill out your personal details in step 1 and company / invoicing details in step 2.
- Choose to pay via bank transfer / invoice or by credit card.
- Click "Confirm Registration". You will be sent an automatic email confirming your registration followed by a personal email containing a pro-forma invoice and further payment instructions.
For assistance in registering, raising a PO or invoicing, please do not hesitate to contact Britt De Cat.
(email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: +32 2 709 01 44)
Transfer & Cancellation Policy
- If a registrant cannot attend the scheduled course, he/she can avoid any cancellation charge by sending a suitable replacement participant.
- Alternatively, the registrant can transfer once on a “space available” basis at no extra cost, until 1 week prior to the event, to another course held within one year of the original course date.
- Cancelling 5 weeks or more prior to the course: cancellation fee of €250.
- Cancelling 4 to 3 weeks prior to the course: 25% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Cancelling 14 to 7 working days prior to the course: 50% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Fewer than 7 working days or if no notification received: registrant liable to pay invoiced registration fee.
- If a registrant postpones his/her participation to a future course, and cancels again, no refund can be claimed for paid registration fees.